Well I thought I had had an alright year in 2012. Many people didn’t think it was a fantastic year, but I thought it was alright. I know that is an average word, but that is exactly how it can be summed up – average. Not good, not too bad, but right in the middle. Looking back at the post I did at the start of last year for my 2012 goals, I am realizing that it wasn’t actually a particularly good year. One thing that is a positive I guess is that my attitude managed to stay positive throughout which helped make things seem better than they were.
From my 2012 post and my grading:
- Weight: this is the big goal for this year. To get healthy and try and get down to 80kgs of ripped awesomeness. I found that during 2011 my sport suffered due to having a couple extra kilograms. I don’t think health can ever be over valued. FAILED – Shin splints returned and I damaged ligaments within my right ankle. Two league games right at the start of the year were the only two proper games that I played this year.
- Learn to cook: Seriously, I am like a retarded sloth when it comes to the kitchen. I do however make a mean slice of some gourmet toast. Some Progess – I have definitely improved in the kitchen, but am still far too close to the handicap side of things when it comes to being Jamie Oliver in the kitchen.
- Studies: I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I can achieve two firsts in this next semester out of the four modules that I will be taking from UNISA. FAILED – miserably. With work and and life getting in the way, my studies suffered again. This working AND studying thing is seriously challenging when it comes to be disciplined!
- 1 Month Challenge: Every month I want to pick something new to try or do during the month and to try and stick to that for the month. January’s challenge is to read for around 20 minutes every night before I go to sleep. Whether that is an eBook on my iPad or a novel, or any other hard copy book. I just want some quiet time before bed. FAILED -This year I am going to do this properly and I am going to blog about it at the start of each month. No more excuses.
- Start Drumming again: This is something that has seriously slacked off over the last couple years and last year I think I must have played once or twice. Considering that my kit is just picking up dust, I think it deserves some TLC. FAILED – Dam, there are a number of failed items here and I don’t think I played more than twice this year.
- Big Holiday Overseas: I am determined to save enough money to go take a holiday overseas this year by myself. If I can get a mate or two to come along even better, but I think this holiday is going to be a solo mission. A lot of cash will need to be tucked away so I am going to have to watch things like a hawk if I want to reach this goal. SUCCESS! Finally a win! This was a win. Three weeks spent in the South of France as well as the United Kingdom were absolutely fantastic. Oh yea, and I got to see Man United at Old Trafford. Childhood dream – check!
- Improve my coding abilities: The more skills you have the more valuable you are and to further my career I need to continue to add skills that can make me more indispensable to employers and I think being fairly fluent in PHP is a language that would really benefit me in the world of SEO. – FAILED – Similar to my cooking goal, I am have definitely improved, but not nearly enough. This is a massive goal for me in 2013 and I aim not to knock this one out of the park, but just consistently knock away at this. Constant effort will lead to greater rewards rather than anything else.
So overall not a great year when I come to think of these goals. Financially, I was very happy with the progress I made and I was spot on with meeting my investment goal so there is another success. Work was an incredibly frustrating year, but the amount that was learnt about SEO and managing a work environment was invaluable.
I feel like I am heading into 2013 far more mature than 2012 with a wiser head on my shoulders to help me tackle my goals for 2013. Let’s hope that 2013 kicks ass for YOU AND ME!